Case Western Reserve University, Tinkham Veale University Center
Square Footage: 89,000
LEED Gold Certified
The design of the Tinkham Veale University Center packages a multi-functional, dynamic, and community-focused facility in a 2-story building that minimizes its encroachment into the existing facilities, while still creating a system of pathways that connect building to building and indoors to outdoors. The “always open” aspect of the university center takes advantage of the 89,000 square foot (8,270 square meter) building’s central location on campus and offers facilities that unite and engage the surrounding university population. Building functions, broken down into social/cultural, meeting/event, and food/beverage categories, provide intersecting yet defined public spaces for socializing, collaborating, studying, and relaxing. The University Center is designed to provide informal and formal gathering for undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, and the community, unlike any other building on campus.
The new university center is a model of environmental stewardship through its design, construction, and operation. The building is LEED Gold through the development of the site, water efficiency, energy efficiency, materials, and indoor environmental quality.
News + Media
- Perkins+Will at SCUP-53 [News]
- Perkins+Will Wins Five AIA Chicago Design Excellence Awards [Office News]
- NPR Interviews Ralph Johnson [Publication]
- Perkins+Will Predicts Trends in Student Union Projects [News]
- Perkins+Will Completes Innovative University Center at Case Western Reserve University [News]
- Holding the Sun at Bay [Research]