San Francisco Ferry Building
San Francisco, California
Square Footage: 238,000
AIA California Council, Merit Award for Design, 2004
AIA San Francisco, Excellence in Architecture—Restoration + Rehabilitation, 2004
National Trust for Historic Preservation, National Preservation Honor Award, 2003
The Ferry Building, constructed in 1898, was San Francisco's main transportation hub for a half-century and the most significant building to survive the 1906 earthquake. The redevelopment constitutes approximately 65,000 square feet of first floor marketplace space with an additional 175,000 square feet of premium office space on the second and third floors. The marketplace is organized along the central nave, which has been refurbished, creating a naturally lit public market hall running the length of the building and featuring outstanding food purveyors and restaurants. Three major east-west passages create a permeable ground floor that connects the Embarcadero and the waterfront, where a newly constructed promenade hosts San Francisco's premier farmers' market four times a week.
The project is overwhelmingly successful and has brought a dramatic increase in activity to the waterfront. The building has been returned to its prior stature as one of the city's central hubs. It was 100% leased and occupied within a year of opening, ferry ridership is up by as much as 27% and the farmers' market has seen attendance double in a single year.