University of Cincinnati Health, Gardner Neuroscience Institute
Square Footage: 114,000
The University of Cincinnati Gardner Neuroscience Institute, a collaboration of the UC College of Medicine and UC Health, is a leading treatment, research, and teaching center for neurological and psychiatric care. The new UCGNI facility seeks to bring together patient care, research, and education into one facility, combining 12 specialty centers for patients suffering from complex neurological disorders, including Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, migraines, and traumatic brain injury.
The UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute focuses on patient-centered care, with the patient considered in each component of the design from the arrival sequence and parking garage layout to the interior planning and materiality to the exterior wall material. The patient-centric design incorporates principles of neuro-architecture into the building design solution.
The design team relied on research evidence showing that specific design elements, such as lighting, acoustics, materials, color schemes, wayfinding, and building orientation, can help improve the lives of patients with cognitive dysfunction and other neurological conditions.
To ensure the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute would meet the different needs of patients suffering from neurological disorders, the Perkins+Will design team worked with the Patient Advisory Council (PAC), an advisory committee of patients, families, doctors, and clinicians to address every step in the patient’s journey. The PAC were an integral part of the planning and design process.
The unique exterior façade material/treatment responds to patient’s sensitivities and provides a signature architectural expression which the client requested.
The UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute includes the following spaces:
- Auditorium and Multi-Purpose rooms for community, teaching, and patient activities
- Rehab Therapy Department including an outdoor therapy terrace
- 16-bay Infusion Department
- Imaging Department (MRI, C-Arm, X-Ray & future growth potential)
- Four Clinic Modules with 14 exam rooms each (modular/flexible/adaptable)
- Specialty Procedure Rooms
- Phlebotomy Department
- Satellite Pharmacy
- Education & Research components
- Ample patient and family waiting areas
- Grab-and-Go Café
- Loading Dock and building support components
- Parking for 175 vehicles below the building with flat floors
- Vertical expansion capability for future growth